The Miracle of America
AHEF announces a new (reference) book that reveals the direct connection between America’s philosophical origins and the Bible–The Miracle of America: The Influence of the Bible on the Founding History and Principles of the United States of America for a People of Every Belief by AHEF Vice-President Angela E. Kamrath.
Also now available: The Miracle of America High School Teacher Course Guide (Supplemental Units)!
America is a country founded on ideas. Yet studies show that Americans today are largely ignorant about the key principles and ideas that have shaped our nation. As a result, we have become more fragmented as a nation and unclear and divided about what our nation stands for and where it is headed- -or where it should be heading. Without citizens learning of America’s founding principles and values, the American idea is rapidly weakening. America’s heritage is at risk in our society, culture, institutions, and education today.
Even fewer Americans understand or agree that the United States is founded on principles largely rooted in Bible-based or Judeo-Christian thought. Some call ours a Christian nation, yet we have no national religion and uphold religious freedom for all. Others call it a secular society, yet we pledge one nation under God. This seeming contradiction is often misunderstood and misrepresented. What is the American ethic? Where does it come from?
The Miracle of America is an in-depth study of previously unexplored subject matter–America’s philosophical origins and its relation to the Bible. It explains how our nation’s founding principles and values are rooted in Bible-based or Judeo-Christian thought. Ultimately, it shows how the Bible and Judeo-Christian thought are arguably the nation’s most significant foundational root and its enduring source of strength. Americans must learn, teach, defend, and preserve the American idea for our families and our nation so that it may endure. (American Heritage Educ Fdn, 2014, 2015)
Snapshots/Summaries available: Snapshots/summaries of some key principles from The Miracle of America are available as free downloads/handouts in the “Member Resources” section of this site. They are also found in the “Supporting Resources” section of The Miracle of America High School Teacher Course Guide and in the “Teacher Resources” section of the 6th-12th lesson resource, America’s Heritage: An Experiment in Self-Government.
* American citizens and families, teachers and students (higher ed and secondary) to whom the American Founders have entrusted our self-governing republic.
* People of all nations who endeavor to preserve and promote Freedom, Unity, Progress & Responsibility (FUPR™) in America and the world
* Key thinkers & historical events
* Key excerpts of original historical documents
* Historical Bible references
* Relevant Scholarship
* Over 1000 endnotes
* Review/research questions & learning exercises for educational use
* Higher Education – History, Government/Political Science, Western Civilization, Philosophy, Biblical Studies
* Secondary advanced unit or course – U. S. History, U. S. Government, Western Civilization, Philosophy, Bible, Special Topics in Social Studies or Humanities (Teacher Ref, Elective Reading)
* Teacher/Student Resource
* Independent Reading, Research, and Study
* Small Group Study
Miracle of America has received endorsements from leading historians and educators and has been recognized as an unprecedented study on the connection between key American political-moral principles and Judeo-Christian principles. See Miracle of America Endorsements.
Interviews & Reviews:
– Miracle of America Endorsements
– “American History’s Entwined Relationship with the Bible, An Interview with Angela Kamrath,” Bible Gateway, May 6, 2014
– “How Did the Bible Influence Our Nation’s Founding?” – Fox News & Friends Interview, April 15, 2014
– “Kamrath’s Book Emphasizes Historical American Ethic,” University Model Schools Journal, Dec 2013 PDF
– “An often intriguing book on religion and American politics, regardless of one’s ideological bent.” – Kirkus Reviews, December 18, 2013
– “Homeschooling parents will find it a valuable reference.” – Marvin Olasky, WORLD Magazine, March 22, 2014
– “Our Founding Principles, Part 1 & Part 2” – AHEF talks with Kevin Price, Price of Business Show Interview, 1110AM Houston, July 17, 2015
– The Old Schoolhouse: The Family Education Magazine Review by Homeschooling Parent of Miracle Book & Course Guide, September 2016, Print Lab 2017
Look Inside the Book:
Educators / Librarians:
Miracle of America – Bookstore/Library Order Info (PDF)
Miracle of America – Text Adoption/Acquisition Notice (PDF)
Miracle of America – Need and Legal Right to Teach Religious History in Public Schools (PDF)
AHEF is now offering The Miracle of America High School Teacher Course Guide (American Heritage, 2016) to be used in conjunction with the Miracle of America reference book (see above). The course serves as a framework for a semester-long, secondary-level course on the founding, philosophical, and governing principles of the United States or for supplemental units in existing Social Studies/Humanities courses such as U. S. Government, U. S. history, Philosophy, Western Civilization, and/or Biblical Studies. The course may be designated as Special Topics in Social Studies/Humanities and is eligible for state elective credit.
The Miracle of America course allows teachers and students to objectively study the ideas and principles that shaped the founding of the United States as a nation and that appear in our founding documents. It explores the influence of the Bible and Judeo-Christian thought on America’s founding philosophy and history. It examines important historical events and original documents including the Bible, Mayflower Compact, Declaration of Independence, U. S. Constitution, and U. S. Bill of Rights.
This course leads students to think, analyze, discuss, debate, and ask questions about history, political philosophy, life, society, culture, and civil government in America and to understand and draw conclusions about America’s founding and values, what has made America successful, what it means to be an American, our rights and responsibilities as Americans, and why it matters.
The course guide complements and may be used with the sourcebook/text titled The Miracle of America: The Influence of the Bible on the Founding History and Principles of the United States of America for a People of Every Belief, Second Edition, by Angela E. Kamrath (American Heritage Education Foundation, 2015).
To access AHEF’s Miracle of America High School Teacher Course Guide (in downloadable PDF), sign up to be an AHEF member educator (no cost or obligation). As a member, you can log in to access our Member Resources. The printed binder format (w/tabs) of the course guide is now available for purchase at our bookstore. It is a lifetime treasure for teachers.
The Old Schoolhouse: The Family Education Magazine Review by Homeschooling Parent of Miracle Book & HS Course Guide, September 2016, Print Lab 2017
“Omitting study about religions gives students the impression that religions have not been, and are not now, part of the human experience. … Since the purpose of social studies is to provide students with a knowledge of the world… studying about religions should be an essential part of the social studies curriculum.” –National Council for the Social Studies Study About Religions in the Social Studies Curriculum, Position Statement
“Public schools may not provide religious instruction, but they may teach about religion, including the Bible or other scripture: the history of religion, comparative religion, the Bible (or other scripture)-as-literature, and the role of religion in the history of the United States and other countries all are permissible public school subjects.” –U. S. Department of Education Legal Guidelines on Religious Expression in Public Schools