The Miracle of America
The Miracle of America: The Influence of the Bible on the Founding History and Principles of the United States of America for a People of Every Belief (American Heritage 2014, 2015) is an academic text that reveals the direct connect between America’s philosophical origins and the Bible.
Few Americans understand or agree that the United States is founded on principles largely rooted in Bible-based or Judeo-Christian thought. Some call ours a Christian nation, yet we have no national religion and uphold religious freedom for all. Others call it a secular society, yet we pledge one nation under God. This seeming contradiction is often misunderstood and misrepresented. What is the American ethic? Where does it come from?
The Miracle of America is an in-depth study of previously unexplored subject matter–America’s philosophical origins and their relation to the Bible. It reveals how the Bible impacted our Declaration of Independence and U. S. Constitution. Ultimately, it shows how the Bible is arguably the nation’s most significant foundational root and its enduring source of strength.
Snapshots/Summaries available: Snapshots/summaries of some key principles from The Miracle of America are available in a free download in the Member Resources section of this site. They are also found in the “Supporting Resources” section of The Miracle of America High School Teacher Course Guide and in the “Teacher Resources” section of America’s Heritage: An Experiment in Self-Government.
Miracle of America has been endorsed by leading historians and educators, and recognized as an unprecedented study on the connection between American political-moral principles and Bible-based principles. See Miracle of America Endorsements.
* American citizens, teachers, and students (secondary, college, adult)
* People of all nations who endeavor to preserve freedom in the world
* Key thinkers, principles, & historical events
* Key excerpts from original historical documents
* Historical Bible references
* Relevant scholarship and over 1000 endnotes
* Review/research/study questions & exercises
* College – Hist, Gov/PS, Westrn Civ, Philo, Bib Studies
* High School unit or course – Hist, Gov/PS, Westrn Civ, Bible, Special Topics in Soc Studies/Humanities (teacher ref, select rdg)
* Teacher/Student Resource
* Independent Reading & Study
* Small Groups
Interviews & Reviews:
– Miracle of America Endorsements
– “American History’s Entwined Relationship with the Bible, An Interview with Angela Kamrath,” Bible Gateway, 5-6-14
– “How Did the Bible Influence Our Nation’s Founding?” Fox News & Friends, 4-15-14
– “Kamrath’s Book Emphasizes Historical American Ethic,” University Model Schools Journal, Dec 2013
– “The Miracle of America.” Kirkus Reviews, 12-18-13
– “Books: This and That.” Marvin Olasky, WORLD Magazine, 3-22-14
– “Our Founding Principles,” Part 1 & Part 2. Kevin Price, Price of Business Show, 1110 AM Houston, 7-17-15
– The Old Schoolhouse Review of Miracle Text & HS Course Guide, Sept 2016, 2017
The Miracle of America High School Teacher Course Guide (American Heritage, 2016) is designed to be used with The Miracle of America text (Second Edition, 2015) mentioned above. The course guide serves as a road-map for teaching a secondary-level, semester-long special topics course in social studies/humanities or as supplemental units for teaching existing courses such as U. S. Government, U. S. history, Western Civilization, and Bible. The course is eligible for state elective credit.
The Miracle of America Teacher Course Guide guide allows teachers and students to study the principles that shaped our nation’s founding and that appear in our founding documents. It examines important historical events and original documents including the Bible, Mayflower Compact, Declaration of Independence, U. S. Constitution, and U. S. Bill of Rights.
Through its unit questions and activities, the guide leads and challenges students to think, analyze, discuss, debate, and ask questions about America’s history, political philosophy, life, society, culture, and civil government. It encourages students to understand and draw their own conclusions about America’s founding values, what has made America successful, our rights and responsibilities, what it means to be an American, and why it matters.
The guide complements the text/reference, The Miracle of America: The Influence of the Bible on the Founding History and Principles of the United States of America for a People of Every Belief, Second Edition, by Angela E. Kamrath (American Heritage, 2015).
To access the Miracle of America High School Teacher Course Guide in digital PDF, sign up as a member educator (no cost or obligation) to access our Member Resources page. The binder format can be purchased at our bookstore.
The Old Schoolhouse Review of Miracle Text & HS Course Guide, Sept 2016, 2017
“Omitting study about religions gives students the impression that religions have not been, and are not now, part of the human experience. … Since the purpose of social studies is to provide students with a knowledge of the world… studying about religions should be an essential part of the social studies curriculum.” –National Council for the Social Studies, Study on Religions in Social Studies Curriculum
“Public schools may not provide religious instruction, but they may teach about religion, including the Bible or other scripture: the history of religion, comparative religion, the Bible (or other scripture)-as-literature, and the role of religion in the history of the United States and other countries all are permissible public school subjects.” –U. S. Dept of Education Legal Guidelines on Religious Expression in Public Schools